Tuesday, October 23, 2012

My new favorite thing

I joined my second Artist Trading Card swap. It's due on November 19th but I had the whole day off and Destin worked all night. This doesn't happen often lately, as I'm at work also or we're home together, playing Resident Evil or watching King of the Hill. I figured without any distractions, I should just knock them out. After a few hours, a stiff neck, and sticky fingers, I've finished.

The theme for the swap is Zetti. I was intrigued once I hopped over to the link for inspiration: http://www.flickr.com/groups/zettiology/pool/

^ This one says: "A broken heart seemed a simple price to pay."

(That's from a book by Alice Hoffman that I stole a bunch of quotes from and wrote them in a notebook to be used for my own future benefit back in junior high. Sometimes other people can say it better.)

I spent an hour or so trying to digest the busy images. I tried to get a firm grasp on the elements that were present in most of them. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. My own flair, but heavily guided by the flickr pictures. 

This one says: "What's deep inside always surfaces..." Also from that Hoffman novel. This picture doesn't do the card much justice. On the third panel of that film roll is part of a dollar bill that says, "private."

There is also some fuzzy yarn on the lady's chest that is supposed to be her chest popping open from the serpent head coming out. She's standing in front of a geyser.

Mind you, these cards are only 2.5 inches by 3.5 inches; the size of a playing card. I'm a serious fan of tiny things.

"Whaddaya talkin about?"

(that quote is meant to be said in your best old man voice)

I could have made a tiny dick joke in case there are any doods reading but I took this next card's words as sound advice.  "Certain things need not be said."

I'm so wild and Kah-raisey (meant to be said like Dan Aykroyd and Steve Martin in their foreigner characters from SNL)!!

Her hat is a piece of a mirror I found in my backyard whilst walking Izzy. I personally like the open mouth where her heart is supposed to be. That's what my heart feels like when I'm not saying things that need to be said. Being in the service industry I bite my tongue more often than not. That's why people think I'm so nice ;)




Days I make something from start to finish, those are really good days.

Go create something! Because the only thing more powerful than destruction is creation.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your creations. Great job on your tiny cards. I love the phrase at the end. Art of any kind is very therapeutic, you inspire me.

    ReplyDelete